Subject: Re: from bad to worse....
From: Baby Peanut <baby_p_nut@yahoo.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/15/2003 09:17:15
--- Baby Peanut <baby_p_nut@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk> wrote:
> > Brian Chase wrote:
> > >
> > > If there's anything worse that being bitten by a damaging and unpleasant
> > > "gottcha", it's being bitten by one that's been known about and
> > > understood for months.  And if there's anything worse than that, it
> > > would probably be getting preached to that the licensing terms make no
> > > warranties about the software not being evil.
> > >

> > It was his incorrect assumption that a similar problem caused by
> > commercial software would be grounds for litigation.
>
> When you buy commercial software you see the EULA.
>
> Going to an ftp site with a well-known and undocumented booby-trap is a
> totally
> different thing.
>
> My original message said that it's not the software that is the issue; it's
> the
> action of leaving an undocumented booby trap in a location which appears safe
> that consitutes the negligence.

Let's say you were filming a movie.  One of the scenes was an actor digging a
pit and covering it with a dropcloth to conceal it.  Then you finished filming
and left the covered pit without getting rid of it and someone came along and
fell into it.

No, I'm not going to sue, it's not worth it.  Just remember in the future to
get rid of any covered pits.