Subject: Re: from bad to worse....
To: Baby Peanut <baby_p_nut@yahoo.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/15/2003 15:04:28
Baby Peanut wrote:
> What I want to know is why are programs that are known to damage machines put
> in
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/kernels/
>
 > without even a README to warn people.

The 4000/90 is not listed as supported in the install notes, although it
is in the list of supported systems on the NetBSD/vax port web page. The
install notes constitute a README, and I suppose they should include a
warning.

> If an equivalent was done on a "PeeCee" site it would be criminal negligence
> and no amount of warrantees on the software would do any good to protect since
> it's not the software that is in question but the "surprise attack" of not
> posting any visible warnings that is the problem.

I think you want to go and reread the EULA ("license") that comes with
most PeeCee software. It says you have no rights, no recourse to legal
recompense under any circumstances, and the software provider can
withdraw your right to use their product at any time. Some EULA's (most
notably Micorsofts) often go beyond this, and that's the source of much
pants wetting on sites like Slashdot.

Meantime, the BSD license clearly states that your on your own, but that
you can do almost anything you like with the software.

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
chris.wareham@btopenworld.com (home)