Subject: VAX 11/780 anyone with some working experience out there?
To: cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2002 17:00:23
Hiho, folks, I have been gone from the list for several months now.
Seems like eternity. All my nice machines are very depressed because
they get no attention. The VAX 11/780 is shivering in the garage, cold
wants to run to warm itself up, but I have not enough time to let it.
I am missing some critical pieces of information, to get it booted and
install BSD on the RA90 disk that I have installed via UDA50.

How do I make myself a boot configuration file that starts the system
from a newly installed UDA50? Of the boot configs that I have on the
RX01 disk none seems to fit. And I don't know how to show the contents
of these files on the terminal such that I could learn what those boot
commands files do an how to enter them manually. I have no idea where to
put the Unibus address and start address and all that stuff. I'm not
even sure I have set the UBA50's address switches correctly.

I also have installed a second RX01 drive and I was wondering how
I can tell the console to show me a @DIR of that other drive? Is there
a way to switch between the default drive or to give a unit number
to the typical commands (such as @DIR)? My primary goal is to make
copies of some of the more critical RX01 disks that I have, since
some of the disks already have errors on them I don't want to loose
my last console boot disk.

I have asked some of these questions before but got no response, seems
like noone has an 11/780 running. I would really love to get into
touch with some person here who has a VAX11/780 or knows it
so well to can give directions from memory. Aren't there 11/780
people here on the list?

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine