Subject: Re: VMS ABI emulation under NetBSD
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/16/2002 20:25:14
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Lord Isildur wrote:

> perhaps it would be easier to port NetBSD to run in VMS, than it would
> be to support VMS from within NetBSD!! hehe

How difficult would it be to create multiple virtual (but not emulated)
machines on a VAX, something along the lines of what VMware does for
PCs?

Also... just what exactly would the advantage of running VAX VMS
binaries under NetBSD/vax be vs. running them under VAX/VMS or OpenVMS?
I'd imagine it'd require that a very substantial portion of VMS be
installed on the NetBSD system for it to be useful.

Other non-trivial challenges would include providing support for the VMS
filesytem(s) and probably creating something that mimics the behavior of
VMS clustering capabilities (?).

-brian.