Subject: Tweaking the VAX vm constants.
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/12/2002 10:01:01
The /sys/arch/vax/include/vmparam.h file defines the following constants
which affect some of the resource limit setting on the NetBSD/vax port:

  #define MAXTSIZ         (8*1024*1024)           /* max text size */
  #define DFLDSIZ         (32*1024*1024)          /* initial data size limit */
  #define MAXDSIZ         (64*1024*1024)          /* max data size */
  #define DFLSSIZ         (512*1024)              /* initial stack size limit */
  #define MAXSSIZ         (8*1024*1024)           /* max stack size */

I know that with early version of NetBSD/vax, raising these values could
have detrimental effects on the page tables, causing them to balloon in
size.  With the 1.6 release (at least?), there have been some changes to
the VAX port's VM system to remedy that problem.

On one kernel of mine, I'd like to increase some of the `MAX' values to
deal with a hefty compile.  What I'm wondering is what are the
relationships to the above MAX values and the overhead incurred in the
supporting structures.  For example, if I were to double the MAXDSIZ,
how would that impact my page table size?

-brian.