Subject: Re: Corruption on disk slices > 4 gigs
To: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/11/2002 07:28:14
On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 05:00:07AM -0800, Brian Chase wrote:

 > I've had very similar problems with SCSI drives of mine that are larger
 > than 4GB (4096MB).  I've a few slightly larger than 4GB drives where
 > this had bit me recently.  I only noticed the problem when I temporarily
 > swapped in a 1.5.3 boot drive after having built some larger than 4GB
 > filesystems on my other disks.  The 1.5.3 install didn't like those
 > large 1.6 newfs'ed filesystems at all.  On reboot, fsck marked them as
 > being dirty and then *completely* erased the first filesystem before
 > I realized something was seriously wrong. (Sadness).

FWIW, I've been using drives > 4G since before 1.5 (with file systems > 4G
as well)... so I'm a little puzzled as to what problems you're having.

There *was* a problem with individual files > 2G (or > 4G, don't remember
if the variable in question was signed or not) when UBC was first integrated,
but those bugs were all fixed, and I now frequently use files *much* larger
than 4G.

This is not on a VAX, of course, but this is machine-independent code we're
talking about.