Subject: Re: Floating Point Woes, part 2
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/2002 14:51:22
On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 02:29 PM, Henry R. Bent wrote:
> GENERIC kernels do not have NO_INSN_EMULATE defined.  I turned it on
> in the
> 4k/90 kernel out of optimism - "The NVAX is fast, therefore it must
> have all the
> cool features!"  Obviously, according to the chart I mentioned above,
> it does
> not have decimal floating-point, nor does it have a hardware emulated
> mode like
> the SOC.  I question DEC's logic in this design, but I suppose it's
> far too late
> to do anything except gripe pointlessly.
>
> I'm recompiling the kernel for the 4k/90 now with NO_INSN_EMULATE
> turned off, so
> hopefully this will solve the issue.

   Hey, how does the 4000/90 perform running NetBSD, anyway?  I have two
of the buggers here...got VMS on one of them, and I'm thinking about
installing NetBSD on the other.  What sort of performance should I
expect?

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "Why would a brothel need
St. Petersburg, FL            a streaming media server?"        -Kevin