Subject: Re: Floating Point Woes, part 2
To: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/2002 08:20:59
At 03:52 AM 12/9/2002 -0500, Henry R. Bent wrote:
>I suspect that there's something wrong with NetBSD's floating-point support on
>the VAX that's chip dependent, but I have no way to prove this.  I would
>be very
>interested to hear from other people running NVAX, SOC, or other systems
>to hear
>if they do or do not experience this problem.  I think if we can pinpoint what
>systems this is/isn't happening on then it will make debugging a lot easier.

You are exactly right, some VAX chips do not have all of the floating point
instructions implemented, and in particular POLYD. The SOC has a different
set implemented than NVAX and so you're running into problems.

There is a #define in the kernel config file that talks about emulating
floating point. Have you tried building a kernel for the 4000/90 with this
define switched on (or off I can't remember the default off hand)

--Chuck