Subject: Re: Whineyvax
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
From: melt <meltie@myrealbox.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/04/2002 12:23:39
On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 02:25, Lord Isildur wrote:
> Ive had memories on other computers hum in audible frequencies during
> accesses sometimes, so its entirely possible (though generally rather
> unlikely).. and if you can hear it over the fans in that box, wow!
> its much easier to hear if you listen to an AM radio next to it.. though
> a DEC box is usually pretty well shielded..
> are you sure its not disk noise? as the heads move (and stay put when
> theyre not needed for a moment) the air striking the head assembly
> does so at different angles and usually the faint whistling/vibrating of
> this airflow changes pitch with different head positions..

I'm fairly sure it's not disk access because i've not got the disk cab
powered up, it's a 4000/200 with DSSI so for the moment it's netbooting.
It seems to do it when it's doing a large amount of writes to the NFS
device (it's not the NFS server) during a ./configure although it's not
the network device because it is silent under high network load...

Alex