Subject: Re: Whineyvax
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/2002 15:24:25
On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 01:18 PM, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> Living near the home of WD40, I would like to point
> out that while it is an excellent penetrant, it is a
> lousy lubricant.  A drop of 10W30 motor oil is a much
> better lube.  And just partially peel off the cover label.

   Yes, this is a very good point...lots of people seem to think that
WD40 is some sort of oil...it's not.  It's actually a solvent, and a
very effective one at that!

> If everything else is quiet, one might hear varying load
> on the switching power supply as the processor utilization
> changes.

   I've seen this too, but many machine with linear supplies do this as
well (like the IMSAI I mentioned in my last email)....so it can't be
just switching power supplies making these sorts of noises.

        -Dave