Subject: Re: Sigh, will DSSI disks *ever* work with NetBSD?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Stanley Reynolds <stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/21/2002 16:22:26
Many years ago my company would remove the rf30's from
a mv3300 and add a emulex qd21 (not sure of that model
number but it was a dual height qbus scsi controller).
We got much better performance from scsi than the on
cpu board dssi controler. And in the long run the scsi
disk would outlast the dssi disk. And the cost per
byte was much less with scsi. Third party suppliers
like emulex did a good job of making dec software
happy with their products with less info than we have.
They didn't have open source to look at. As for dssi
support in netbsd the task may be hard but that makes
the success very sweet. Not sure that a third party
made a dssi clone but I think the dec lawyers and dec
patents had more to do with that than the complex
task. I don't have any dssi disk either but if I did I
would run an os that would support them and look very
hard for a third party controller and epay would get
my rf disk.