Subject: Re: X on mono VS 3100/m38?
To: David Woyciesjes <dwoyciesjes@comcast.net>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/20/2002 16:19:19
David Woyciesjes wrote:
> 	Well, I now (finally) have my VaxStation 3100/m38 setup, and ready to
> go. I just have to see why it doesn't like the AUI cable I used to
> connect it to my network. Other than that, it's ready to go.
> 	Anyway, has anyone done any work on getting a GUI on this beast? I can
> help by doing some grunt work and what not. Let me know...
>
> 	Currently, it has NetBSD 1.5 on it, with 32MB of RAM, and the VR262
> mono monitor. I have 2GB & 600MB HDDs in the Storage Expansion Unit. I
> have a full-size 9GB drive to replace the 2GB one :)

There was an unfinished X server somewhere on the NetBSD FTP site. I
think there's a few postings in the NetBSD-vax mail archive that mention
where it is.

I compiled it under 1.5.3 earlier this year, but didn't have much
success running it. The next step would have been getting the
framebuffer documentation, but my VS3100 has since had to go to save
space. I recall someone called Matt Thomas having copies of the
documentation, and they may even be available at:

   http://208.190.133.201/decimages/moremanuals.htm

If anyone ever does get the time to finish the framebuffer then I will
definitely invest in another VS3100. I would get so much perverse
delight from running X on it!

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)