Subject: Re: VXT-2000
To: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/13/2002 13:35:19
> Hi !
>
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Simon Burge wrote:
> > > I happend to run into a VTX-2000 X terminal. It seems fully operational,
> > > but I seem to be missing some image it wants to load over the network on
> > > startup. Does anybody around here know how to get it working?
> >
> > The VXT-2000 has a (micro?)vax inside it.  Didn't I see some VXT-2000
> > specific code added to the Vax port recently?  You may even be able to
> > run NetBSD natively on this.
>
> In short, it is like a 4000VLC with SGEC ethernet. I just added the CPU
> definition in sid.h a while ago, but dur to the completely different memory
> layout of the VXT, i didn't get into this further. If someone has a tech
> manual, we can do this, but without, i think this is very difficult.

I have booted NetBSD on one, but a driver for the serial chip on it
must be written to make it useable. The chip is a SC26C94 IIRC so it
shouldn't be too difficult to fix a driver for it. The main problem
with that arch is that it has no safety belts at all, the smallest
error you do needs power recycling, reset do not work.

-- Ragge