Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: pcw <pcw@karpy.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/2002 09:09:35
>> Write-white?  Did the engineers own stock in a toner company or what?

>Write-white just means that the drum has to be charged where it is NOT
>going to attract toner particles.  Thus the laser is used to write the
>white areas of the page.  But the toner is still black, and a write-white
>laser printer won't use noticably more toner than a conventional
>write-black printer.  In fact, it typically uses ever-so-slightly less.
>
>The described LN01 printer is an OEM'd Xerox 2700.  Pretty good at
>printing text, but it doesn't have bitmap capability, and the font
>file format was undocumented, apparently because Xerox and/or DEC wanted
>to make sure you paid $$$ for their fonts.  Apparently there was a later
>LN01S model with a different RIP which could handle bitmaps.
>
>I wasn't aware that the LN01 was a write-white printer, though it's
>not especially surprising.

I used to have a 2700 and it definately was write-white, The HE-NE laser
in mine was cranky and if it failed to start you would get all black pages
It also meant that it was poor at drawing narrow (1 pixel) black lines.

It had an amazing fuser section that had no rollers (Fused entirely with
infrared) A side effect of this was that the fused toner was always shiny

PCW