Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/2002 11:00:55
> The described LN01 printer is an OEM'd Xerox 2700.  Pretty good at
> printing text, but it doesn't have bitmap capability,

Ah yes, I remember texbinim, a program that took an image and converted
it to font, plus TeX code to typeset those characters such that they
formed the original image.  (Oh, and I think it could do solid
rectangles, even if it couldn't do real bitmaps.)

> and the font file format was undocumented,

...?  We must have found some doc on it; we had TeX output working.
(Unless I'm conflating the time we had the LN01 and the later time we
had the LN01S, but I don't think so.)

IIRC its rendering engine was display-list and band based; it would
re-walk the list of printed output for each band on the page.  If you
printed too much stuff, the mechanical speed of the print engine could
overrun the display list processing and you'd get some kind of error
about how the page was too complex to print.  (I forget what channel
was used to report this error, whether something printed or something
back to the host or what.)

Ah, nostalgia.  "And _we_ had a 6PPM printer that couldn't handle
bitmaps and was as big as a desk...and LIKED it!"

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign