Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/2002 02:59:59
From: "Eric Smith" <eric@brouhaha.com>

>The described LN01 printer is an OEM'd Xerox 2700.  Pretty good at
>printing text, but it doesn't have bitmap capability, and the font
>file format was undocumented, apparently because Xerox and/or DEC wanted
>to make sure you paid $$$ for their fonts.

Blech!!!!  We had a Xerox 2700 in one of the terminal rooms at RPI (attached
to the 3081D through line drivers and a PDP-11) and it was awful, slow and
the output was barely even legible.  I always thought it was funny that
such an expensive peripheral was sitting around, on casters, in a lightly
guarded terminal room, with no fear that anyone would try to steal it.
Why would they!

John Wilson
D Bit