Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 22:49:30
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, John Wilson wrote:

> From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>
> >If you say that, you've never had to deal with the LP-11.  (It's a
> >line-printer interface.)  It could accept only one byte at a time,
> >required PIO, and had too little buffering (or too little speed at
> >accepting bytes) to handle more than about two bytes per output-ready
> >interrupt.
>
> Hmm, I could have sworn I got burned by some LP11 behavior where the RSX LP:
> driver knows for sure that the LP11 can accept characters w/o even waiting
> for interrupts in between, up until an LF character (which is when the fun
> actually begins).  So it (the driver) stuffs printing characters out w/o
> caring about the "ready" bit or any associated interrupt...

The LP driver in RSX can use a KMC-11 for DMA support.

> >in which case the blame really belongs with the
> >LN01 (a very early laser printer, something like 6ppm and as big as a
> >small desk, also one of the very few write-white printers I've ever
> >used).
>
> Write-white?  Did the engineers own stock in a toner company or what?

Hmmm. I know that the spooler in RSX can handle the LN01, and it outputs
the same data as for any other printer, except for some setup escape
sequence at the start of the job, depending on which form you want...
(Portrait or landscape, and standard or letter quality)

	Johnny