Subject: Re: Summary: DECsystem 5500
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 08:57:09
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Michael Kukat wrote:

> [...]
>
> According the the information of Magnus Bäckström, this machine does
> not just have the MIPS CPU inside, but also a VAX CPU as some kind of
> console processor. If a selftest error occurs, you fall into this "VAX
> mode". And really, you can't boot pmax-compatible CDs, you can boot
> VAX-compatible CDs. You can boot NetBSD/vax, VMS, Ultrix/VAX. No
> problem. Okay, the OS fails because of not detecting some kind of
> known hardware, but it starts booting. BTW... extremely slow :)

Wow, this truly is disturbing, but in a /good/ way. I'm be curious to
know which flavor of VAX CPU is being used, what it is clocked at, and
how much memory it has available to it.  This console processor might be
a candidate in the `slowest VAX' competition between the MicroVAX-I and
the VAX 11/{730,725}.

-brian.