Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 17:54:14
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, John Wilson wrote:

> From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
>
> >Bet that was with a DZ-11 as well. About the worst peripherial you can
> >imagine, and combined with the slow interrupt response time of a VAX it
> >really sucks.
>
> Not so bad -- DMF32.  But DEC muxes are all pretty much equally horrible
> when it comes to input...  And the DMF32 has a very strange feature list,
> I dunno if they had a particular big customer in mind or what.

True, they all normally work the same for input. But output is usually
more than half the data...
The DMF32 have some tricks, but it's not that bad. I have one working here
on my NetBSD-system. Some day I should look at adding a bit more support
for those extra features available...

> DZs may suck but they do work ...

Work? Definitely. But they do suck. And they have been a dime for a dozen
for atleast 15 years. I have a number around, if anyone close by is
interested.
Magica have both a DHU and a DZ (the DZ is just for DECnet), and the DHU
is much better. If someone have an extra DHU, it would be nice to put it
in instead of the DZ there.

Speaking of which, perhaps I should try pushing for HECnet again... :-)

	Johnny