Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 11:50:40
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>

>Bet that was with a DZ-11 as well. About the worst peripherial you can
>imagine, and combined with the slow interrupt response time of a VAX it
>really sucks.

Not so bad -- DMF32.  But DEC muxes are all pretty much equally horrible
when it comes to input...  And the DMF32 has a very strange feature list,
I dunno if they had a particular big customer in mind or what.

DZs may suck but they do work ... I remember taking months to save up $700
from my summer job in 1985, to buy a DZ11A at Heffron's for the PDP-11/34a
I'd just managed to get ahold of.  Even with a DHU the 11/34a would have
been slow so the DZ was no big loss, I was just pumped at being able to
finally wire up a modem, plus all my roommates' micros.  Now I've got piles
of DZ boards, people give them to you for free every time you pick up any
kind of DEC machine.  Wish I could go back in time and save myself that $700!

John Wilson
D Bit