Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 11:28:29
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

>The old musocs was a VAX, and it was either a 730 or a 725, I can't
>recall which.  We took it apart and couldn't find the CPU.  I think it
>was probably because the CPU was multiple boards that looked
>undistinguished, but we used to say that it was because the CPU was a
>Z-80 running a VAX emulator...which was only half a joke, because
>that's about what its speed felt like (at least in the absence of ever
>having used a real Z-80 running a VAX emulator).

I'll say.  I've got an 11/730 stashed in my garage (that I keep meaning to
haul out and play with), which I used to run with 4.2BSD.  With just one
user on it, you could overrun its TTY input buffer to the point of pathetic
beeping, just by typing random input quickly *by hand*.  Now that's slow!!!

John Wilson
D Bit