Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 08:13:04
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 ragge@ludd.luth.se wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Matt Thomas wrote:

> > Oooh, pretty.  I've wanted an 11/730 or 11/725 for ages.  It's the only
> > VAX that can compete with my lovely 4MB MicroVAX-I for the title of "the
> > slowest VAX."  And it likely is the slowest machine that ever has a hope
> > of having NetBSD ported to it.

> Have you tried to run NetBSD on your MV1? I fixed the code for it some
> years ago but unfortuantely I haven't had the opportunity to test it, so
> I don't know if it works.

The last time I tried, I think it was sometime during the end of 1999 or
during early 2000--using 1.4.2 or 1.4.3.  The problems I was running
into then were with the bootloader.  First, though the system supported
what looked to be a primitive MOP load, I couldn't get it to load the
bootloader over the net.  There seemed to be a bit of a disagreement
between the MicroVAX-I MOP and the mopd in how to handle the request.
The same mopd setup was working fine with my MicroVAX-IIs and VS3100s.

I then attempted to transplant an RD54 with NetBSD/vax installed on it
from my working MicroVAX-II, but this failed to get past the bootloader
as well.  I don't think it even managed to print any output from the
bootloader before it halted.

I'd very much like to take another look at it, but the system is
actually in storage across on the other side of the country, and it's
doubtful I'll be able to even look at it until this summer as I don't
plan on being back there before then.  I'll put it on my reminder list
of things I need to do when I go home.

-brian.