Subject: Re: Most perverted DEC system: DECsystem 5500
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Magnus B{ckstr|m <b@etek.chalmers.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 14:44:02
Congratulations, you've discovered the DEC5500's console processor!

It's a VAX, and yes -- it can boot operating systems.  The VAX lives on
the QBUS and can access that bus just as the R3000 system module can;
its main purpose is to run diagnostics.  If you have SDI or DSSI disks
you can even log on and speak to them with SET HOST/DUP <...>, etc.

But the console processor is not the one you want to boot netbsd on,
except for purposes of showing off :-)

IIRC, you log off the VAX and return to the R3000 console program by
simply typing 'EXIT'.  In the pmax console you go to the VAX with
with the 'MAINT' command.  The pmax console should show you a '>>'
prompt, as opposed to the '>>>' VAX prompt.

As a rule, you get the pmax console by default; some self-test errors
can cause the VAX to take over though.

The VAX console processor in the 5500 continued an old DEC tradition,
e g the VAX780 and 8600 series had LSI11 console processors.  The 8600
console processor would boot RSX without much fuss, even while an OS
was running on the VAX...

Somehow DEC liked to install the previous generation of machine as
console controller in their current generation.  A somewhat disagreeable
twist in this tradition imo was the console controller of the VAX85xx
machines -- they were DEC "Personal 350" things which ran its own OS
and a special, rather buggy, application to poke around inside the VAX
cpus.  The console would crash every so often, and when it came back up
it would not always respect the privacy of the VAX cpu already running
multiuser.