Subject: Re: If you want a machine to make your uVAX II look fast...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2002 12:17:44
>> I wonder how hard it would be to add suppor for the VAX-11/725 (aka
>> repackaged VAX-11/730).
> Oooh, pretty.  I've wanted an 11/730 or 11/725 for ages.  It's the
> only VAX that can compete with my lovely 4MB MicroVAX-I for the title
> of "the slowest VAX."

:-)  Way back in the heyday of UUCP for email, back when our netlink
consisted of a nightly phone call to utcsrgv, the machine that used to
be musocs was decommissioned, to be replaced by a faster one.

The old musocs was a VAX, and it was either a 730 or a 725, I can't
recall which.  We took it apart and couldn't find the CPU.  I think it
was probably because the CPU was multiple boards that looked
undistinguished, but we used to say that it was because the CPU was a
Z-80 running a VAX emulator...which was only half a joke, because
that's about what its speed felt like (at least in the absence of ever
having used a real Z-80 running a VAX emulator).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign