Subject: Re: Is the BA42 rackmountable?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Kenn Humborg <kenn@linux.ie>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/27/2002 21:13:23
On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 03:08:37PM +0100, Kenn Humborg wrote:

> > > But, if you remove the top cover, it will fit inside 19".
> >
> > Well, remember that the 19" is the width from edge to edge of the front
> > plate that's bolted to the rack.  Then it looks like it's about 18.25"
> > from bolt hole to bolt hole, and the space into which you can set your
> > gear is a little less that 18" wide.
>
> True.  But I meant that it would fit inside the rails OK.  I'll have
> to check again when I get home, but I think the metal is folded back
> at each end of the rear panel into a shape that looks like it could
> slide down over a (hypothetical) bracket which could then be screwed
> (or maybe slid) into the rack rails.
>
> I'll try and grab a picture of it tonight when I get home.

Here's a picture of the BA42 enclosure (from a Storage Expansion box):

   http://www.bluetree.ie/~kenn/ba42-detail.jpg

And here's a detail of this box inside a rack:

   http://www.bluetree.ie/~kenn/ba42-rack-detail.jpg

The metal frame fits comfortably between the rails.  But these two
metal lugs at each end are just about too wide to fit.  So I think
that some sort of bracket exists that would slide into these lugs
and provide 19-inch mounting holes.  Maybe they were something
that DEC used internally during development, but never made available
in the field?

And even if they don't exist, it's probably an easy enough job for
a competent metal bender to make them.  Only problem is I'm no metal
bender...

Later,
Kenn