Subject: Re: PC Monitor on VAXen
To: None <adam.r.pigg@bnfl.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/2002 19:21:44
Hi !

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 adam.r.pigg@bnfl.com wrote:
> Hi, this discussion about monitors got me thinking, we use really crappy
> 19" vr262 Monochrome monitors on Vaxstation 3100 M38's.  Theyre forever
> breaking and cost a bomb to get repaired.  Does anyone know if tis possible
> to wire up a standard PC monitor, or something else that is readily
> available to these old baby's?  The current cable is a 15Pin D on the vax
> to a sinlgle BNC on the VR262 monitor.
>
> Any suggestions welcome

You can. But your Monitor has to
1) support the sync frequencies of your VAX
2) support Sync-on-green

the latter is just a metter of homebrew electronics, the first is just a must.
But modern multisync monitors are compatible with a very wide range of
frequencies. Look out for Sony, i think also Eizo, Nec also... they did, and
maybe still do, build monitors with Sync-on-green.

Just look the DEC VRC21-HA standing around here... Works like a charm on
PeeCees, SGI, Sun, VAX, DECstation, Alpha, HP, RS6k. Virtually every box runs
with this fine screen, and this is just an old high-end multisync PC screen
from Sony.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/     Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX