Subject: RE: Is the BA42 rackmountable?
To: Kenn Humborg <kenn@bluetree.ie>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/2002 06:58:08
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Kenn Humborg wrote:

> > No, my 3100m20 (BA42-B) is wider than 19" so i'da thought not...
>
> But, if you remove the top cover, it will fit inside 19".

Well, remember that the 19" is the width from edge to edge of the front
plate that's bolted to the rack.  Then it looks like it's about 18.25"
from bolt hole to bolt hole, and the space into which you can set your
gear is a little less that 18" wide.

> So I  thought there might be a rack kit for it.  Don't know what that
> would do for airflow and cooling, though.

If my rackmount MicroVAX 3100/20 is anything to go by, DEC's approach to
rackmounting these was to build a completely different enclosure.  It
looks sort of like they took the rough form of a BA42-B and wedged it
sideways into a bigger (and much heavier) box:

  http://world.std.com/~bdc/pics/mv3100/mv3100-1.jpg
  http://world.std.com/~bdc/pics/mv3100/mv3100-4.jpg

-brian.