Subject: Re: SIMH and DELQA module
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/21/2002 01:54:35
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>

>The DELQA was a replacement for the DEQNA. The DEQNA was very buggy and
>eventually DEC just shipped out delqas for everyone to replace them with.
>effectively the only delqas that still exist are ones that were in
>machines that didnt have service at the time of the upgrade. the same
>driver should dig them both, though.. it does in ultrix and *BSD.

The DELQA can take a bunch of stuff in a SETUP packet (mostly handy for
MOP and/or DECnet if I remember right) that the DEQNA can't.  So it's a bit
more than just a faster, less buggy DEQNA.  Also, as mentioned previously,
there was the DELQA-YM (which was the DELQA hardware with later firmware),
which had a mode it could be kicked into which had a completely different
programming model, which was (supposed to be) more efficient.

John Wilson
D Bit