Subject: the fourth annual VAX party
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/18/2002 17:22:54
OK, the fourth annual VAX party has been decided. it's on the 16th of
november! please rsvp! all are welcome but my house is not extremely large
and i want to know how much food and drink to acquire!

Time: Sat, 16th November, around 20:00. Total vax-geeking earlier, say 17:00.
Place: Isildurean Domain, in Pittsburgh, PA. See directions below.
RSVP: to mrfusion (at) vaxpower (dot) org

happy hacking,
isildur

---

directions to Isildurean Domain:

from oakland:

find your way to s. craig street. On forbes coming from pitt, this means
making a left after the carnegie museum onto s craig street. From CMU, this
means making a right at the same intersection, by the uni-mart.

From 5th ave, coming from pitt's direction, make a left onto s craig
right after you see the SEI. from sq hill direction, make the right
when you see SEI across the intersection.

follow craig street until it intersects with bigelow boulevard.
go forward approx 250 yards, in right lane. make the right onto
bloomfield bridge. make a left onto liberty avenue and travel approx .5
miles until you see 37th street on your right. it will be directly after
a very cool looking duquesne light substation. follow 37th street for approx.
200 yards. you will cross several side streets and then cross penn avenue.
immediately after penn avenue, approx. 65 feet from it, is a small street
called peoria way. make a right onto it.
This dead ends on 38th street. my house is the one that will be directly
to your right on this corner, #270. find a place to park, usually there
is space further up onm 38th street towards penn avenue. technically there's
no parking on peoria way but you can usually get away with parking on the
_other_ side of it. my side is a fire lane.  I'd try to park on 38th street
first though.

from north:

if coming down Rt 28, take the 40th street bridge exit and follow the 40th
street bridge til the light on butler street. make a right onto butler
street and then drive 2 blocks and make a left onto 38th street. My
house is approximately 500 feet ahead on the right.

if coming down 279,  exit at the east street exit and bear to the left.
Make a left at the light with East Ohio street, and stay in the right
lane. Make a right at 16th street/chestnut street, and cross the river.
Make a left onto liberty avenue and follow liberty up to 37th street,
where you make a left. Follow 37th street for approx.
200 yards. you will cross several side streets and then cross penn avenue.
immediately after penn avenue, approx. 65 feet from it, is a small street
called peoria way. make a right onto it.
This dead ends on 38th street. my house is the one that will be directly
to your right on this corner, #270. find a place to park, usually there
is space further up onm 38th street towards penn avenue. technically there's
no parking on peoria way but you can usually get away with parking on the
_other_ side of it. my side is a fire lane.  I'd try to park on 38th street
first though.
(yes liberty is usually faster than taking rt 28 outbound!!)

from east:

from very far east: take the penna turnpike (rt 76) westward toward
Pittsburgh. Take the 376w/pittsburgh exit (exit 11 (no segv pun intended), i
think), and then follow 376W in toward the city.
from far east:
taking 376 west, exit at the squirrel hill exit, and make a right onto
beechwood blvd.this is directly after the big sharp turn in the exit
ramp and is an equally sharp turn (effectively a u-turn) from the exit
to beechwood. travel approx. .35 miles along beechwood and make a right at
the light by the cogos and the brewsters ice cream place. Cross the bridge
and bear left through the park. Stay in the right lane and at the light
with blvd of the allies, cross b.o.a and go straight until you meet a
stop sign approx 150 yards ahead. Make a left here, again heading through
the park. Go straight at the next stop sign, and then make a left onto
darlington rd. From there, travel approx. 120 yards and make a left onto the
golf course road. Travel approx. 250 yards til you intersect with tech street,
and turn right into CMU. Travel approx. 100 yards until the stop sign and
turn right onto margaret-morrison street. At the light with Forbes Avenue,
turn left onto Forbes.
Follow forbes until craig street, where you will see the Carnegie across
and to your left, and a uni-mart on your right.  mae a right onto s craig st.
[...]

From near east:
from highland park:
follow negley avenue southward until penn avenue. make a right onto penn
ave. Follow it til 37th street, make a right onto 37th. immediately after,
turn right onto the side-street peoria way. This dead-ends on 38th street
and isildurean domain, #270, is on your right as you stand at that
corner. Or, you could go over the hill past the zoo down to Butler st,
and take butler all the way in, make a left onto 38th street, and up a
block and a half to #270.

from east liberty:
follow 5th avenue until it intersects with penn ave/Rt 8,
and then turn left from 5th onto penn, heading towards downtown. Follow
penn til 37th street, and make a right onto 37th.
approx. 65 feet from the corner, is a small street called peoria way.
make a right onto it.
This dead ends on 38th street. my house is the one that will be directly
to your right on this corner, #270. find a place to park, usually there
is space further up onm 38th street towards penn avenue. technically there's
no parking on peoria way but you can usually get away with parking on the
_other_ side of it. my side is a fire lane.  I'd try to park on 38th street
first though.
(yes liberty is usually faster than taking rt 28 outbound!!)

From south:
if crossing on 279, take the liberty avenue exit (right downtown) after the
bridge. follow liberty avenue all the way to 37th street (approx. 3 miles)
follow the directions from 279N after this point.
If crossing from the liberty tunnels, follow second avenue inbound to the
downtown area and make a right when it dead-ends at the red light under
the blvd of the allies ramp. im not sure of the name of this street.
follow it through two lights, and then at the stop sign, which should be
7th avenue, make a left. Mellon Bank center should be on your left, and
USX tower should be ahead of you. Turn right onto grant street, and follow
grant until it merges into Liberty Ave. Follow the directions from liberty
avenue given in other sections.

from west: if you're coming from the far west, you're probably coming into
the area on 76, the turnpike. It passes by pittsburgh about 30 miles out, so
either way you get off of it, you have to take some other roads.
Your options are to take the earliest pgh exit, which goes to rt 60,
occasionally labelled as going to the airport, and pass the airport by
and then get on 279 heading north, then follow the directions above from
south on 279. Or, you could stay on and get off at the cranberry/rt 79
exit. Then you'd come down on 79 south to 279 south. At the east ohio
street exit, get off of 279 south and stay in the left lane. Then, make
the left onto east ohio street and get into the _right_ lane. At the next
big intersection, youll come to 16th street, also called chestnut street
there. Make a right onto it. Youll cross the alleghenny river on the 16th
st bridge, and come to a light on penn ave. go straight, the next light
is liberty ave. make a left onto liberty and follow the above directions
in 'from the south' along liberty. Finally, you could stay on 76 until
the 376 exit, which would be way out of your way, and take the 'from the
east' directions. When i travel west, i usually go the cranberry route.

From the moon:
land rocket at intersection of penn ave and 38th street, being careful not
to burn my house down with rocket exhaust in the process. walk down
38th street to #270.

From china: buy a bigger shovel.