Subject: Re: Net/2 and 4.4
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/14/2002 05:18:53
On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org> asked;

> > did anyone ever run net/2 or 4.4 on a vax? was it just a hack with the
> > reno VM, or were some of the 'missing files' replaced? i've seen
> > references to VAXen running Net/2 and one or two hints of a VAX running
> > 4.4, but ive never found anything more concrete.
>
> 4.4BSD could not run VAX.  I have a UCB Berkeley announcement dated
> 29 Jun 93 18:19:46 GMT at hand.  The distribution did have stale/non-functional
> vax/tahoe code inside.  I remember I tried to run "out-of-box" Reno
> release on uVAX-II.  I'm not sure that distribution image could run well on
> the specific configuration of my uVAX-II.  Nonetheless, it was a one evening
> try and our site never ran Reno on VAXen for work

Specifically:

->  Subject: 4.4BSD Release
->
->  [...]
->  The distribution does not include the  machine  support  for
->  the  Tahoe  and VAX architectures found in previous BSD dis-
->  tributions.  Our  primary  development  environment  is  the
->  HP9000/300  series  machines.   The  other architectures are
->  developed and supported by people  outside  the  university.
->  Consequently,  we  are not able to directly test or maintain
->  these  other  architectures,  so  cannot  comment  on  their
->  robustness, reliability, or completeness.
->  [...]

http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/proven/mail/44BSD

-brian.