Subject: Re: A few questions about the VAXstation 4000/96
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/12/2002 23:31:13
Jonas Ohlsson said:
> I have recently acquired a VAXstation 4000/96, and I am wondering a bit
> about the status of NetBSD support for this particualr machine. I find the
> FAQ and other sources of information somewhat ambiguous.
> The model information document says that the 4000/90 system is supported,
> but it also mentions support for the 4000/96 CPU.

At a previous place of employment, I ran a webserver on a 4000/96 using
NetBSD 1.5.1 and thttpd for about a year. Worked great. I can't answer for
whether or not the firmware trashing bug has been fixed; I'm afraid I
haven't been paying a lot of attention lately. The 4000/96 is currently
on a shelf in my bedroom (right over there; see?) and hasn't been running
for a while.

This was in the height of whatever PC hack was going around at the time,
and it was great fun to read the thttpd logs and look at how many machines
tried and failed to break into my 4000/96. It was plugged right into the
raw seething internet; it was the unofficial webserver outside the
corporate firewall.

The only change I recall making to the kernel source was deleting the
occasional complaint about ethernet timeouts. Has that particular annoyance
been fixed?
--
Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu