Subject: Re: headless install on...?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/28/2002 13:24:27
I wonder how long it will last. Blockbuster is still all-dec as well,
they must have tens of thousand of VT[34]20s in service nationwide, and
there have to be hundreds of VAXen hidden somewhere too.. i notice many
local businesses still have DEC gear, and its still ticking. however, the
end is coming down the road... vax 4000's are starting to show up on ePay
with greater frequency, and those terminals and stuff only have a few
more years to go before they start getting flaky..
In the ( i think most recent) issue of military &aerospace electronics
there was an article about some component testing system the navy uses...
there were some photographs, and one caught my eye because something
hashed to 'dec gear' in there.. i looked again, and saw an LK201 on some
big testing station.. i looked closer and the thing had a VRE01 on it
too! way cool! then i read the article, and they make the hint that
there's a lot of VAX stuff still in use in the military world.. (as well
it should! the stuff lasts approximately forever!)

isildur