Subject: Re: headless install on ..?
To: Charlie Allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/2002 23:17:07
hello,

if you find a VT320 or 420 you can plug the mmj right into the terminal.
for a few years DEC used those rather obnoxious mmj connectors for all
their serial stuff.. even the early alpha systems had them.
if you use a PeeCee running something like kermit (which runs on
_everything_, i dont use any peecee stuff but i run kermit on many unixen
for all mys erial needs, and back in the 80s in my bbs days, kermit in
DOS was the way to go) then youll have to cook up an adapter. dongles to
convert from mmj to db25 were fairly common, even from third party
vendors. I have several of them in service here, for example.
ifyou dont find them, i'd be reluctant to cut up the deconnect cables
since they are pretty rare now. most digital telephone stuff like youd
find in a business with a pbx uses RJ12, and a quick snip with a clipper
can take off the offending centered locking tab and allow the rj12's use
on the vax.. it wont stay locked in if you disturb the cable, but a strip
of tape can hold it in tight.

isildur