Subject: MicroVAX serial ports
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/20/2002 10:56:36
Hello Michael,

  MK> The serial interfaces are dz-type thingies, the dz is
    > a quad-port serial interface AFAIK. So all 4
    > interfaces are the same type...

That sounds good, since presumably it means they can all
share a common driver, with perhaps a little buffer memory
for each port.  I just looked in a couple of obvious, but
possibly wrong, places (including the 'Supported Hardware'
list) but didn't find specific mention of dz.  I could
check th source, but I don't have room to unpack it right
now.  Am I right in thinking that dz support has already
been written, and works?

  MK> ...and i think, even electrical signals for keyboard
    > and mouse are the usual RS232 stuff.

Great!  I could build TTL/RS-232 level shifters if I had to,
but this saves me some time (a commodity that's in short
supply right now ;-) and probably makes things neater.

  MK> Maybe you don't get handshake from those connectors,

I think all of the things I'm hoping to connect to support
XON/XOFF flow control, but I'll try to verify that.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.