Subject: Re: VAXserver 3100 boot/POST problems
To: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/10/2002 13:40:48
one thing i always do when i get some old machine is thoroughly clean it
out before i power it up. it might be covered in dust or have corrosion
on impoartant parts.. especially if its been sitting for years.
i've had some surprising resurrections of apparently dead machines that
way.. my favorite example is the ds5k240 that ive had running for years
now, which when i got it was a dead as a post, even the LED's didnt light
up. after stripping it all apart and cleaning it, it magically worked
after i put it back together. anyway.. the old DEC gear is hard to kill,
so i'd give it a shot. i'd also make sure it's set for a serial console,
flip the switch and whatnot...

happy hacking,
isildur