Subject: What was the exact date of the 4.3BSD/Net2 release?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/24/2002 16:27:24
Hi,

I'm writing on an article on open source stuff and I would
appreciate if someone here could give me the exact release
date of the Net2 tapes, i.e., since when were they available
for FTP download? My earliest usenet reference is dated
January 92, but I would like to push this date a little
forward into the year 1991, but not without evidence.

Also, the Jolitz BSD diffs sort of faded in from the dark.
When was the Dr. Dobbs series of articles completed, i.e.,
at what point could one get the Net2 release by FTP and
type of download the Jolitz' diffs and begin the fun?

I know of mention of downloadable 386BSD distributions by
March 1992. Also the USL lawsuit threat appeared right at
this same time.

It's so nice to remember these things as I was right there.
I was a UNIX newcomer back then, but it was terribly
exciting times! I started with 386BSD 0.0/new and I did the
first port of TeX and AKCL to it. It was fun!

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine