Subject: Re: VAX 4000-108A
To: Pasi Pirhonen <upi@iki.fi>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/2002 20:48:55
while on the subject...
i'll gladly trade an alpha 433au for a 4000/10x machine.. :-)
(i am very soon getting my hands on an entire (small) cluster of them
being taken out of service at work 8-)

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:

> Really? I just got (last week) a 4000-105A for free. Included RF35,

SWEET!

> RF36 internally, 2xRF71 and RF72 @ R215F. TK70 + four of four port
> serial cards w/ cables (don't remeber what those are) @ BA213. had
> 64MB memory which i upgraded (had already some 4MB 80pin chips) to 80MB.
>
> As there were no DSSI-support i attached one 4.3GB SCSI-disk and netbooted
> the 1.6beta. Took aboiut 1.5h to compile a kernel and about 27h for
> whole 1.6beta snapshot.
>
> I am not into VMS and i just saved the machine from being destroyed
> (ie. had to pick up some other PC-stuff too).
>
> I am not willing to give 'a new good home' for that yet, but maybe i'll
> donate it later to someone that appreciate it more than i do. definetly
> i won't let anyone to destroy fully working VAX :)
>
> PS. definition of 'free' isn't accurate. I paid a price by bruises near
> my goins (or what ever id that place where your legs attach you hips) and
> sweat when i carried it to 3rd flood (no elevator and ground floor
> isn't floor one :)
>
> There is actually one question in my mind too. I have 8MB 80pin chips
> (50-20612-01 Rev A01 and LPWR 9UEXC94V-0 are the markings). When i
> tried to use those, the 4000/105 didn't even start. Does someone know
> why? Those seem to be like (I my memory serves me) the memories on
> DECStation 5000/25.

nope, they dont work. the decstation memory, while more plentiful and
mechanically deceptively compatible is not compatible. its a bummer.

> Let that be some kind of introduction as maybe i'll soon 'love' my VAX.
> Definetly i realize that it's fine piece of engineering. Not one of
> those plastic designs i see every day.

no, it isnt! you got yourself one of the finest VAXen a man can carry
without the use of a forklift!
congratulations!
isildur