Subject: Re: VAXStation 100?
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: David R Barnes <dbproductions@juno.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/2002 08:28:15
Ahh yes.. the Grinnell Graphics system... that too was impressive for its
day... had one myself a while ago...

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:12:51 -0400 (EDT) der Mouse
<mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
> > A Vaxstation 100 is the FIRST decwindows workstation.  It is in a
> box
> > the size of a PRO 380, and interfaces to a Unibus controller board
> > via 2 fibre cables.
>
> Oh, my, that brings back memories.  Back in my larval stage I used an
> 11/780 with a Grinnell Systems display (under VMS, and then later
> some
> BSD - probably 4.2 and later mtXinu 4.3+NFS).
>
> It was a whole cabinet of its own, with its own unibus card(s?)....
>
> Pretty fancy, tho.  And one facility it supported is one I haven't
> seen
> in any graphics hardware since.  (Effectively, three independent SP3T
> switches, selecting which pixel subfield controls each lookup table
> input, and another similar bank between the lookup tables and the
> guns.)
>
> /~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML	       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27
> 4B

David Barnes
dbproductions@juno.com
OpenVMS , Tru64, Linux, NetBSD guru!  LONG LIVE OPENVMS!!!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.