Subject: Re: GCC to retire VAX support!?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2002 10:52:57
i find this very hard to believe. C, either ansi ro K&R (my personal
preference) is _extremely_ flexible. what kind of thing can one not do in
C that one can in gcc, and i dont mean things for which there would be
five lines of C and just one bit of gccism shorthand for... i am
convinced that _most_ of the gnu-isms , not just in gcc but in e.g. gnu
make, are the result of people who dont take the time to learn how to do
something with the tools as they are, and write something special-case to
do it instead. i find that it is a phase most hackers in the larval phase
go through, and most grow out of it. some, unfortunately, impose it on
the rest of us by getting it into gnu stuff.