Subject: Re: GCC to retire VAX support!?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2002 05:27:46
>> However, ANSI C is so constrained and crippled a language that [...]
> [...]  But when the basic C language support differs from compiler to
> compiler, then the portability of C is undermined.

I don't think it does - as long as you write in "basic C", whatever
that is, as far as I can tell it pretty much Just Works.  The problems
arise when people write in gcc rather than C (ie, using some gccisms
that aren't Cisms), either without realizing it or under the impression
that it's actually C they're writing in.

>> A few filters can probably be written in pure ANSI C.  Maybe even
>> something ed-like.
> If the required libraries are written in ANSI C,

But I don't think they can be, not if you stick to the stuff that ANSI
C promises will work.

> then I can write a GUI editor not just ed ...

Sure, given ANSI C plus an X API, or a SunWindows API, or a GL API, or
whatever your favorite interface is, yes.  But the library behind that
API is going to use calls that ANSI C doesn't promise anything about
(if indeed it's written in anything Cish at all).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign