Subject: Re: GCC to retire VAX support!?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2002 10:35:34
der Mouse wrote:

> However, ANSI C is so constrained and crippled a language that it's
> difficult to do anything useful while still sticking to code that has
> standard-specified behaviour.

I think you're missing the thrust of our debate - we're not bemoaning
the lack of standardisation amongst libraries, but amongst compilers.
Differences in the libraries that various Unix flavours support isn't
surprising, as it's here that most interesting advances are made. An
example the springs to mind is the Doors API in Solaris. But when the
basic C language support differs from compiler to compiler, then the
portability of C is undermined.

 > A few filters can probably be written in pure ANSI C.  Maybe even
 > something ed-like.

If the required libraries are written in ANSI C, then I can write a
GUI editor not just ed ...

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)