Subject: Re: GCC to retire VAX support!?
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2002 17:10:42
Brian Hechinger wrote:

> i think this here is the part about GCC that iritates me.  it seems that not
> long after ANSI C started to come into play, GCC came along and completely
> ignored the ANSI C standard.  it's almost as if the attitude of the FSF was
> that commercial compilers were bad, so they wanted to make them harder to use.

The FSF had some issues with things like trigraphs in the
ANSI standard. They may be a dubious feature, but to then go
and ignore ANSI compliance altogether is a bit of a pisser.

Perhaps this ties in with the "GNU's Not Unix" philosophy. If
the environment the FSF is hoping to build isn't really Unix,
then maybe they don't see standard conformance as a plus. In
that case, I'm glad there's alternatives like the *BSDs which
strive for POSIX conformance.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)