Subject: Re: GCC to retire VAX support!?
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/18/2002 20:14:33

> That would be wasted effort.  Are you going to add C++ to PCC?  Are you
> going to add Fortran to PCC?  Are you going to make PCC emit debug info
> that modern debuggers like to use?

Fortran has been a part of PCC for at least 20 years. But no, there
are no reason to spend any time on that compiler unless someone really
really feel like a masochist. I have spent some time inside it, and even
if it is small and slim it generates quite bad code. The only positive
thing with it is that it is very simple to add new targets, a useable
machine description for something can be written in almost a few hours.

-- Ragge