Subject: Re: [OT] Any sources for PDP-11 spares?
To: Christopher R. Zach <cz@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/12/2002 13:33:00
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Christopher R. Zach wrote:

> >Guess this is the moment to mention that we still have two -2060s here
> >then. :-)
>
> One could also get a KS10 (the closet sized Decsystem20/20). They have
> switching power supplies for the main chassis, and actually don't draw that
> much power. The TU77 does, but you don't need that online 7 by 24.

Don't think NetBSD/pdp10 will work on those in the near future.

> As for disk, I've pretty much given up on getting SCSI to run on MASSBUS, and
> now simply run two RM80's. They don't suck much power; less than the older RM03
> drives and a lot less than the RP06/07's.

Hmmm. Who was it that built a MASSBUS<->SCSI adaptor? SETASI?

> Hm. Come to think of it, I wonder if I could swap the HDA for an RA81 into an
> RM80, then hack the microcode to see the extra tracks/sectors. 450mb on a
> spindle would be "nice"

For a PDP-10 you'd need a 18-bit HDA for the RA81. You cannot reformat it.
I don't know how many 18-bit HDAs were made. Never seen one.
I don't think that placing it in an RM80 case with massbus adaptor will
solve the problem, but I could be wrong.

	Johnny