Subject: Re: [OT] Any sources for PDP-11 spares?
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2002 16:41:27
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Chris Wareham wrote:

> Sorry for the off-topic posting, but this is the most relevant forum I
> can think of for asking PDP-11 questions.

info-pdp11 is probably a better forum, but this will do.

> I have just acquired one of these machines, which looks quite modern but
> appears to be of 1979 vintage. Does anyone know how I definitively work
> out what model it is? As I say it looks quite modern, but a sticker on
> the back say 11C23 which I guess makes it an 11/23. I poked around the
> PUPS website, and can't find any pictures to confirm this.

If the sticker says 11C23 then it's most likely a 11/23, yes.

> It has a 75Mb drive and 512Kb of RAM, and I hope to stick 2.11BSD on it.

No can do.
The 11/23 is a measly crippled PDP-11 (well, not really, but it lacks some
features that 2.11 require). More specifically, 2.11BSD requires split I/D
space and supervisor mode.

> Ideally I would like to increase the ram to 1Mb (or more if at all
> possible), and the disk capacity to 200Mb. Does anyone know of a source
> of memory and disks for these beasts?

Hmmm, you probably hjave an RD53 now then. The largest is the RD54 at 154
meg or so. Memory can go to 4 megs.
Source? Beats me. Disks would be the same as where you look for you old
VAXen.

> would it be worth me subscribing to the port-pdp10 list, or are the
> PDP-10 and 11 radically different (apart from in size)?

Apart from lacking 20 bits? :-)

(Yes, the PDP-11 and PDP-10 are two totally different beasts, and neither
is related to the PDP-8...)

	Johnny