Subject: Re: OT - Ultrix 4.5 netwrok installation?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <kees.stravers@iae.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2002 12:34:23
On 2002-06-11 dennis@pcde.inka.de said
   > I'have an Ultrix 4.5 installation CD, and a MicroVAX II without
   > CD. I  also have a Linux box with a MOP server up'n'running.
   > Is there a way to netboot the VAX with that CD to install Ultrix
   > from  the network?

It is possible to boot and / or install one Ultrix box from the other,
all needed software is already present if you have done a standard
Ultrix install. You have to run a script to prepare the boot server.
The ris script is to prepare an installation server and the dms script
prepares the Ultrix box for diskless clients. So to boot Ultrix on
your MicroVAX II via the net you will have to install and prepare another
Ultrix system first, on a VS3100 for example.

   > Or, is it possibile to generate TK50 media from that CD, assuming
   > that  the VAX has a TK50 and NetBSD 1.5 (MOP boot and NFS mount
   > from the Linux  box) running?

On the Ultrix CD there is no provision for creating a boot tape. The
booting process from tape is totally different than from CD. But there
is a hack, made by Fred van Kempen, that allows a bootable tape to be
built from an Ultrix 4.5 cd. At this moment Fred is still fine tuning
this hack and writing the documentation. You will see a message in this
group when it is done.

So, installing Ultrix on a vaxstation and booting your microvax from that
is currently the option you have.
Kees.

--
kees.stravers@iae.nl                   My site about the DEC VAX computer