Subject: Re: OT - Ultrix 4.5 netwrok installation?
To: NetBSD - VAX Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dennis Grevenstein <dennis@pcde.inka.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2002 02:31:00
Cthulhu wrote:

> Sorry for the OT, but only you can help me. :)

Oh, there's no problem. It's often a good idea to ask in comp.sys.dec
or comp.unix.ultrix too as you might still find some of the old DEC
folks there.

> I'have an Ultrix 4.5 installation CD, and a MicroVAX II without CD. I
> also have a Linux box with a MOP server up'n'running.

Do you have any other Ultrix box up and running?

> Is there a way to netboot the VAX with that CD to install Ultrix from
> the network?

Of course there is. The problem is that I can only tell you
how to boot the client from an Ultrix boot server:
/etc/ris      # for installation
/etc/dms      # for diskless clients

Check the manpages for ris and dms on Ultrix for more info.

> Or, is it possibile to generate TK50 media from that CD, assuming that
> the VAX has a TK50 and NetBSD 1.5 (MOP boot and NFS mount from the Linux
> box) running?

No, sorry. The kernel is configured differently for a boot tape.

mfg
Dennis

--
Maybe we're just masochists, but some of us actually like Ultrix. :-)

                                               read in comp.sys.dec