Subject: Re: CI networking, need some help debugging ...
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/09/2002 03:14:46
Matt Thomas wrote:

>> ifconfig scs0 inet 192.168.17.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
>>
>> on the other machine. If I check the status with just
>>
>> ifconfig scs0
>>
>> It says it's up and fine. But ping self doesn't work and ping
>> each other doesn't work either. From reading the scs man
>> page, it mumbles something about host numbers having to be
>> between 1 and 15. But I have no clue what they mean. I don't
>> know my CI node numbers either. I'm wondering if I should
>> know those and configure them somehow.

> I seem to remember that the low byte needs to match the
> CI port number.  It does not do arp.

Aha, that is very helpful. It makes sense. Now, I'm blushing
because of this question: how do I find out the CI node number
and how do I set it with the jumpers on the back? I have
moved so many card cages and swapped doors etc that the CI
numbers on those black stickers are all wrong now.

thanks
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine