Subject: RE: unable to build lib/libc on VAXstattion 4000 90a
To: Jan H. van Gils <JanVG@Knoware.NL>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/04/2002 17:04:21
did you check the md5's after downloading them too?

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Jan H. van Gils wrote:

> So I have a "stupid NIC", but can somebody then explain to me why
> the Kernel build running from the same nfs mount has no problems ?

these kind of things arent consistent. you might have been lucky with the
kernel build, or else the affected files werent compiled (unlike building
something like libc, most of the files in the kernel sources are
untouched by most kernel compiles.. even a compile of LINT would still
not touch most of the tree, since youre only ocmpiling for one arch at a
time)

> But on the other hand it looks like it is in that direction !, when
> I ftp the files from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/src/<dir>/ the build
> goes on, until it finds an other directory with similar problems. And again
> I ftp the files. I have done this for I think 4 directories and it looks
> like
> /usr/src/lib is building now !

it might pay off to write a script or something to traverse the tree on
both sides to verify a checksum or something on each file, and make sure
that theyre ok.

> Is there maybe a problem with sup and nfs ?, that screws-up some files

its probably the peecee nfs server, but nfs itself is not (likely) the
source of the problem..