Subject: Re: Upgrading a VAX4000-200 to a -500, -700 etc.?
To: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/01/2002 22:59:17
by all means grab the machine! it doesnt use that much power, esp if you dont
have a lot of cards in it. eventually it will certainly be supported.
(plus you _could_ run vms on it :)
the machines size and the rating on the power supply and the three-phase
inputs make you think the thing will heat your entire house, but actually
a 6000 machine only uses about 500 watts in a normal environment (where
normal is 'not too many cards in it'. Typically dec's power supplies are
rated for sometimes more than twice the real dissipaation of the machine.

so, take that machine! :-)

happy hacking,
isildur